Sunday, July 5, 2009

Oquirh Hills Temple Open House

It is amazing that this is our second temple open house in a matter of months! I have had the opportunity to serve this time because this will be our temple. Before my service, we decided to go through as a family. We went through June 24, 2009 around 5:30. They were not very busy so it was nice. The kids didn't have the questions they had at the Draper Temple open house... then were a little more in depth. I will really impressed with their questions. You start the tour and go to the baptistry first. Everyone loved this but Kairi... she would not walk past the font, Dustin had to carry her! She was Dustin's companion the whole time... lucky Dustin! Reagan started counting all of the pictures of Christ and had counted a lot but then we had to do a lot of stairs and she lost count on the stairs. It is a beautiful temple, simple elegance. It has amazing chandeliers! I noticed a lot of circles. They were in the carpets, on the ceilings, in the glass and on the upholstery. We had a great time. After the temple we went to the hospitality tent, where I would later serve, and had a cookie and water. I can't wait for the dedication.

Two days later, June 26, I had the opportunity to serve from 6:30 to noon. I thought I would be an usher, but when I arrived I had been switched to the hospitality tent. In our briefing we were told this was on of the most important places to be. We were told that as people finished the tour of the temple, they needed to be greeted and made welcome. I found out that they ordered 400,000 cookies for Kneaders, very yummy, and I believe they said $250,000 worth of water. There were two sets of sister missionaries there during my shift who answered a lot of questions. I wondered how busy we would be since it was so early in the morning. We were told that two youth groups and a boys ranch would be coming through around 9... we knew we would be busy. In the two youth groups I saw several of my former students, it's fun to see them outside of a school setting! We handed out an enormous amount of cookies! I really had no idea. A little before noon everyone on my shift was tired. It is hard work... they warned us we would be tired, but I didn't believe them. All we did was hand out cookies, but smiling, talking to people, and standing in one spot for a little over 4 hours was hard work. What an amazing opportunity! I'm looking for to my next service on July 13th.


In the hospitality tent.










Kairi and her friend Dustin.

1 comment:

Leslie and Tyson said...

Kairi is going to have a really hard time when Dustin gets married... and she isn't the one holding his hand! But if he waits long enough... Kairi will be old enough in like 15 years!